Chronic misplacer - H
I lost my cell phone. I'm usually pretty good at retracing my steps and finding things I've lost, but this time, it's as though it vanished into thin air. I've looked everywhere it could possibly be with no luck. What kills me is the cost to replace the darn thing. This is only my first phone and I paid next to nothing for the phone, but the retail value for the new one is way more than I'd ever be willing to pay b/c I have it in my mind that phones are free or almost free.
Sigh. So, what's the solution? I'm a chronic misplacer. Purse? Possibly, but I tried the purse thing in college once, and I just misplaced the whole purse. My problem is that I absent-mindedly put things down without making a mental note. That means that when I'm ready to pick things up and go, if it (my wallet, keys, phone, favorite fleece jacket, sweatshirt, etc.) is not in sight (say b/c it slid behind the box on the counter, or I put it down on the table behind me and didn't see it on my way out), then I just leave without it. I might miss it a few hours later, when I want to use it, and when I can't find it that's when I start on a mad search, am completely preoccupied, desperate, and pray a lot until I find it. Losing things brings me closer to God. =D
I'm happy to report answered prayer, that my cell phone turned up. Praise the Lord! =D
Sigh. So, what's the solution? I'm a chronic misplacer. Purse? Possibly, but I tried the purse thing in college once, and I just misplaced the whole purse. My problem is that I absent-mindedly put things down without making a mental note. That means that when I'm ready to pick things up and go, if it (my wallet, keys, phone, favorite fleece jacket, sweatshirt, etc.) is not in sight (say b/c it slid behind the box on the counter, or I put it down on the table behind me and didn't see it on my way out), then I just leave without it. I might miss it a few hours later, when I want to use it, and when I can't find it that's when I start on a mad search, am completely preoccupied, desperate, and pray a lot until I find it. Losing things brings me closer to God. =D
I'm happy to report answered prayer, that my cell phone turned up. Praise the Lord! =D

2 Comments:
oh, H.... i just had flashbacks of you leaving your cell phone at safeway a month ago. i honestly don't know how you survive not carrying a purse. even men have the need to carry purses. i really don't know what you should do because even if you wore a purse, like you said, you might leave that behind and that would be worse than just leaving certain items behind. why don't you try carrying a purse for a bit, just to get used to it? carry a cheap purse and don't put anything valuable in it yet. try it out and see if you can get accustomed to having something with you at all times.
Hanah, I used to be a chronic misplacer as well. I mentioned it to my older brother once, and he said that he was, too. He told me that whenever I have stuff in my hands, I should force myself to consciously know what I'm doing with it at all times. That helped a little. I also got a long chain for my keys in college because that's what I would always misplace.
Post a Comment
<< Home