Tuesday, July 12, 2005

searching for pathways - H

I'm searching for a career that will allow me to use both my administrative skills and creative abilities. I was at first interested in event planning, which I would love and am not barring from my list of possible future careers, but I can't seem to find a definite career path into that industry, and then there's part of me that wants to go back to school anyway...I think. So, I'm looking into art schools, specifically interior design programs. In my research I've discovered that I'd rather design commercial spaces than interior spaces. I'm also drawn to working for a larger architectural firm rather than a small private affair. I'm just worried about how that will affect my family life b/c I'm sure I'll have to alter my vision. I don't think I'm made to be at home 100% of the time though. I'm built in such a way that I need a change of pace every now and then, usually a relatively drastic one. I think it comes down to wanting to/needing to experience different things/life and to always be exploring. Ironically, I simultaneously need stability. I think that's where E comes in. He's the pillar that remains when all else has crumbled to the ground.

I'm learning that changing the direction of your life isn't that simple. It's difficult to fight the inertia. It's also difficult to think about a pay cut or taking on loans or loss of benefits (b/c the district I work for really takes care of us in that regard.) I love the people I work with and environment, and thinking about moving into a completely new arena, not knowing exactly what it'll be like or if I'll even like it is a bit scary. The thought that after investing so much time and resources that I'll lament what I left behind also makes me think twice.

I'm exploring though. My drawing class is a start. I'm planning to take more classes in the fall to learn more about the field, to develop my skills, and to determine if I have what it takes to make it in the field...or even into a pretty decent art school. It's been an exciting couple of days of research and learning/planning. I'm excited for the new experiences and challenges! Bring it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker