Well, it's official - H
...I'm taking a year off and staying home with baby. It was a very difficult decision to make, but ultimately E and I both think this is best for both me and baby. He knows I don't do well under exhaustion and sleep deprivation, and if I had to go back to work 6 weeks after baby was born, I'd be both exhausted and sleep deprived and probably for the following several months too. I've also gotten a lot of support from people at work, particularly those who've had kids. One was telling me that if you are able to stay at home, then it's worthwhile. It's a year with baby that you'll never get back if you don't. So, from that standpoint, I feel good about the decision. I just wonder what my year will look like. What will I be doing with all that time? What I will be missing at school while I'm gone? Will I enjoy my year off? I can't plan for the unknown, so I'm having a little trouble with that.
In other news, E felt baby move for the first time last Sunday. Judging by the part of the belly, it was probably a kick. I feel baby moving regularly now, and I'm pretty sure it's baby b/c the kicks are strong enough that I can feel them through my belly's wall with my hand. It makes me smile when it happens. It's a connection, an interaction.
FYI
If anyone is interested in buying fresh, locally grown, organic produce check out Hidden Villa (www.hiddenvilla.org). They have a community supported agriculture program (CSA), where from the months of May to Thanksgiving, you can get baskets of fresh, organic, locally grown (in Los Altos) produce weekly. E and I are going to try it out this season. It's roughly $20/week for enough produce for 2-3 people about $33/week to get a basket that feeds 4-5 people. It's the best way to get your produce, the most environmentally conscious way. Supporting large farming giants is environmentally bad in so many ways, from the mass use of pesticide and other chemicals and the effect that has on the environment (water pollution, etc.) to the growth of monocultures which decreases biodiversity and effects on the web of organisms that may depend on those plants in one way or another which ultimately affects our planet and our well-being. I'm not intimately acquainted with all the issues that large scale farming has, but I know it has a serious effect on our environment which ultimately means us and our future.
I was seriously not as tree-huggerish when I moved out to Cali, but I'm learning more and more about the importance of our environment and also that it's important to get the word out too. Anyway, enough preaching. =)
In other news, E felt baby move for the first time last Sunday. Judging by the part of the belly, it was probably a kick. I feel baby moving regularly now, and I'm pretty sure it's baby b/c the kicks are strong enough that I can feel them through my belly's wall with my hand. It makes me smile when it happens. It's a connection, an interaction.
FYI
If anyone is interested in buying fresh, locally grown, organic produce check out Hidden Villa (www.hiddenvilla.org). They have a community supported agriculture program (CSA), where from the months of May to Thanksgiving, you can get baskets of fresh, organic, locally grown (in Los Altos) produce weekly. E and I are going to try it out this season. It's roughly $20/week for enough produce for 2-3 people about $33/week to get a basket that feeds 4-5 people. It's the best way to get your produce, the most environmentally conscious way. Supporting large farming giants is environmentally bad in so many ways, from the mass use of pesticide and other chemicals and the effect that has on the environment (water pollution, etc.) to the growth of monocultures which decreases biodiversity and effects on the web of organisms that may depend on those plants in one way or another which ultimately affects our planet and our well-being. I'm not intimately acquainted with all the issues that large scale farming has, but I know it has a serious effect on our environment which ultimately means us and our future.
I was seriously not as tree-huggerish when I moved out to Cali, but I'm learning more and more about the importance of our environment and also that it's important to get the word out too. Anyway, enough preaching. =)

3 Comments:
I like the education, so keep on preachin'. Congrats on hearing it's a girl too!
i support your decision to take a year off and stay home with tuber baby 10000%.
it's funny bc i've been learning the same things you've been learning about organic/local produce and the environment and beef this past year as well. you're lucky that you've found a good supplier.
Yeah! We'll be neighbors and at home! :)
Post a Comment
<< Home