Monday, March 24, 2008

Worlds apart - H

So, my parents have been here for the last week and have done a ton of work at the house. They spent 3-4 full days at the house, coming home only for lunch and dinner, and maybe for breakfast. (Earlier in the week they were still on east coast time and so they'd wake up at the crack of dawn and head to the house.)

Well, I was over there on Friday afternoon, and while they were working on the yard, I was just inside pulling out staples and tack strip from the carpet we tore out. Julia was happily hanging out in the stroller watching my parents. Well, just as I was finishing up, I noticed loud buzzing coming from the yard. I didn't think much of it, and walked outside after I finished sweeping up the floor. I see Julia looking toward the sky. Then I look over to my dad, and he's standing with his hands on his hips looking in the same direction. I look up and see a huge swarm of thousands of little specks darting back and forth. "Dad, what is that?" He replies, "Those are honey bees. They're separating." (Apparently, when too many bees occupy the hive, the older bees are forced out and need to find a new home.)

Well, I thought it was about time to high-tail it out of there. Since Julia already suffered a sting a couple of months ago, I didn't want her to be at the mercy of 15,000 bees, and of course neither did I. I called to my dad and said, "We should go! They might sting us." He says, "Oh they're harmless," and as I was leaving asks, "You don't have anything I can use to catch them, do you?" I was a bit perplexed and raised an eyebrow at that question. He wanted to catch them and raise them, while I'm thinking we should be running for our lives.

I walk out to the front to leave, and I pass my mom who's doing some work in the front. I tell her that there are a ton of honey bees in the back, so I'm leaving, thinking she would be concerned for my dad. She asks how many, and I tell her the swarm is as thick as a cloud. Without batting an eyelash she laments, "We don't have a way to catch them, do we? They're really valuable. You wouldn't know how to raise them anyway, right? Your dad knows how."

A couple of days later, my dad is still thinking about those honey bees and how it would have been nice to catch them. Their world is so different from my own but so interesting, I'm learning.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would have been cool if the bees were captured. I read a while ago our food supplies are in danger because there aren't enough bees around to pollinize plants. Bees are disappearing.

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker